a reading list

In my research, I've come across a whole load of books and essays that are highly recommended on the topics I'm already discussing here (most of them go beyond eating locally). While I haven't vetted them, I wanted to put them here as a reading list for myself, but also for anyone else greatly intrigued by food and the choices we get to make regarding it.


So here they are:
  • Coming Home to Eat by Gary Paul Nabhan
  • In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
  • The Cultural Contradictions of Capitalism by Daniel Bell
  • The Philosophy of Taste by Brillat-Savarin
  • A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
  • Walden by Henry David Thoreau
  • The Hungry Soul: Eating and the Perfection of Our Nature by Leon Kass
  • The End of Agriculture in the American Portfolio by Steven Blank
  • "The Whole House" & "The Total Economy" by Wendell Berry
  • Pastured Poultry Profit$ by Joel Salatin
  • Grass Productivity by Andre Voisin
  • The 100-Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating by Alisa Smith and JB Mackinnon

And additional writers:
  • JI Rodale
  • Sir Albert Howard
  • Wes Jackson
  • Louis Bromfield

Do you have additional recommendations? Add them in the comments!


Lettuce read!


Best,
Clarissa


PS—Any articles or books I reference in other posts are there as reading suggestions as well.

Comments